Career Coaching is a vital key when it comes to finding fulfillment in your job and career. Here is all you need to know about coaching.
Do you wonder like many do today, why getting a job or choosing a career path is so difficult and challenging? Well, this post is all you need to know about career coaching, and how it can land you your dream job. But then,
What is career coaching?
Most job seekers and career men/women are new to the phrase “career coaching”.
They can’t, but must ask us in all our training sessions for young graduates and career newbies – What is Career Coaching?
How can a career coach help me?
You may be wondering the same thing too, so let’s take a quick look at what career coaching is all about.
Simply put, career coaching is personal or group coaching that helps you find greater fulfillment in your job, career, or profession through setting professional goals as it relates to getting a Job and planning your career.
During this training you are guided on how to:
- Choose a career you love that suits your values
- Ace a Job interview and get that well-paying job you have always dreamt of.
- Feel connected and get promotions in your job through strategic planning
- Be the best at your job or career.
- Change your job with ease if need be. etc.
Furthermore, a career coach is just what you need when it is difficult for you to make a career choice. It is your best bet when you feel all the applications you have submitted offline and online can’t land you a job.
Many seek career coaching when they are stuck in a job they don’t like or when they find it difficult to balance their job with their personal lives.
So, Are you scared of getting into a job you don’t like? Maybe you are already stuck on a job that you have lost your passion for and can’t find pleasure in anymore.
These and many more are signals that career coaching is your next line of action.
Why Career Coaching
The truth is, getting a job in itself is a tough job, both for those who are complete without work and those who have one but desire to rethink their career path.
Also, finding satisfaction in a job and growing in a career path has been of great concern with the growing rate of unemployment and millions of graduates dispatched yearly.
Thus, the need for a coach or more like a guardian becomes very important and as such something, you can’t do without if you must compete and beat others in your quest for your dream job.
Career Coaching will help you in your career planning, such as choosing a major and future career direction.
It will also help you develop many valuable and useful skills, such as clarifying your job search goals, developing your resume and cover letter writing, understanding the value and how-to’s of networking, researching fields and industries, finding and evaluating jobs.
More importantly, during career coaching, you will discover your true potentials and where they are applicable in the real world.
This of course will help you narrow your Job search to specific areas and thus give a better chance of getting the job.
Benefits of Career Coaching
The benefits of career coaching are innumerable when it comes to getting a job and career development in Nigeria.
Aside from some already highlighted above, below are some other essential benefits of career coaching.
- It helps to put a person’s qualifications, experience, strengths, and weaknesses in a broad perspective while also considering their desired salary, personal hobbies, and interests, location, job market, and educational possibilities.
- It also helps you in gaining a better understanding of what really matters for you personally
- Career counseling helps on how you can plan your career autonomously, helps you in making tough decisions and getting through times of crisis.
Coaches can also support you in finding suitable placements/ jobs.
Now that you have all this information about career coaching, I did like to highlight exactly what a career coach can do for you and what they can’t do.
Signs That You Need A Career Coach
Generally, the need for career coaching comes when you are not making any progress in your career or you want to cub future failures.
This can be noticed when you are staying too long without advancement or when you are stuck and no longer comfortable with your job position.
Below are some indicators that you need career coaching.
- When you don’t know how to translate your interests, skills, values, and personality preferences into possible jobs or careers.
- Confused about how to develop an effective resume and cover letter.
- You are looking for a “job search strategy” and how do I find a job
- When you don’t know how to prepare for an interview
- Tired of your job and ready to take a new one
- When you can’t see a future in your current job
Who needs Career Coaching?
Since career development is a lifelong process it transient all stages of life.
So Career Coaching can be appropriate for anyone, from fresh graduates, people in colleges and high schools, career men/women, Millennials, and even business owners.
Career coaching is general for every walks of life, be it in Banking, medicine, engineering, corporate world, businesses, ministries, music, and fashion industries.
What Does A Career Coach Do For you?
Among many other things, a career coach will:
- Facilitate your Personal Discovery, clarify and align you with what you want to achieve
- Encourage self-discovery and mastery
- Elicit solutions and strategies for your growth
- Hold you responsible and accountable for your skill development
A career coach could assist you in getting a Job by doing the following:
1. Preparing your resume
2. Improving your interviewing skills
3. Job searching
4. Job Updates
3. Assist you in achieving your ideal career:
He/She will do by:
1. Providing you with additional education you may need to support your career growth.
2. Helping you build a professional network
3. Provide a guide on things to set aside to prepare for a major career transition.
It is also worthy to note that, going through career coaching will not automatically get you Job.
Your career coach can’t change your life overnight nor give you a job instantly.
They are not magicians, they will only guide you in the process and make your work easier, But the truth is – you have to put in the effort to get the fulfillment you want in your job and career.
Finally, Career Coaching will help you to know and understand yourself and the job industry in order to make a career, educational, and life decisions.
And since your career development depends on your interests, abilities, values, personality, background, and other circumstances.
You need the help of a Career coach with special skills to help you figure out who you are and what you want out of your career and your life.
At Recruitmentday, we run both offline and online career coaching sessions. You can book a session or subscribe to our timely newsletters and get Job updates right on your phone.